- STAY AWAY from all lakes, rivers, streams, creeks, ditches
- STAY AWAY from thin ice!
- STAY AWAY from fast moving water!
- Water is very cold at 0˚C to 5˚C!
- Hypothermia sets in within five to ten minutes and can be life threatening!
The RVCA is pleased to offer resources to teachers interested in promoting spring water awareness.
As the warmer spring weather approaches, snow and ice begin to melt and waterways begin to fill up with cold, fast moving water. Children are often interested in exploring rushing streams and thawing ponds during the warm days of spring. However, these areas can be unsafe and it is important to teach students the dangers of there areas.
- Background information about spring flooding
- “Safety Says” video with teacher notes
- Activity ideas, resources, and sheets for use by classroom teachers
- General curriculum information
- Announcement information for use during the spring season
- Information for students to take home during flood season
- Dam safety resource materials from Ontario Power Generation